The Lucky One



I have always considered myself lucky in many situations of my life. Being somewhat of a good-for-nothing myself, I always find myself never far from the helping hands of others, and especially the loving hands of my dear Father.

In recent years where people my age are seriously considering about future careers, getting into universities and studying their asses off for whatever reason, I am quite shocked, in hindsight, that I have taken a step back. To resist the temptation of giving in and following the status quo, this trend of 'giving your all' for a year or so so that you can 'enjoy' for the rest of your life. Sure, there is something appeasing of a life that is comfortable, but we are not made for comfort, we are made for greatness.  (St John Paul II)

So what is it that I am working so hard for? Surely a high salary and a reputable career are very pleasing in one's life but that will certainly not satisfy me, this persisting thirst of mine. All the adverts everywhere practically shout that this will do, that will satisfy and they scream for your continuous attention. But way down deep inside, I know that this is not true. Surely, there must be more than this? Surely the purpose of my existence is not just to chase down some fading light with all resources at my disposal and after having achieving that 'goal' of mine, to dispose of my resources?

I do not know for sure, as in drop-dead sure about my vocation in life, but I do have an inkling of what it just may be. I have given a 'yes' to Him who loves me, but it seems that the time has not yet come or this is just not meant for me. What I have to do now is just to converse with Him more, to get to know Him more and more, and if I'm lucky enough I might even be able to dwell in His house, all the days of my life. This is a personal longing of mine.


I have just started working in a tour agency, a job recommended by Miss Meat-Eater, and this is my third week working here. I look forward to meeting and serving customers though judging by the location of my office, it is highly unlikely that some random passer-by will climb all the way up here and walk in. Speaking of luck though, I am very lucky to have ended up in an office of Christians, with three Catholics to boot! Well, to be precise, there are still two uncertainties but they are decent people and I do not want to appear rude by making a forthright enquiry about their religion. I feel so at home, so lucky, so blessed. His gaze is always upon me, His arms opened wide for me, and His grace always surround me.

I am currently working my way through the autobiography of Saint Therese of Lisieux, the Story of a Soul. I find her funny at times, and I can certainly identify with her in many situations, being a kind of a little flower myself, I can do nothing on my own, and will be content with the gentle breeze and sweet morning dew. To tread the path of the little way, is a wondrous task indeed. For what better way to experience His love, than in the wild abandonment of oneself, than the complete humility in the service of others, and to constantly seek His face, in the world, and in the silence of the heart.



As for you, little child, 
you shall be called a prophet of the Most High.
You shall go ahead of the Lord, 
to prepare His ways before Him,
to make known to His people their salvation, 
through forgiveness of all their sins.

Listening to Still and Holy Spirit God (Chinese versions) played by my colleague in the background.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

梦醒后

A Day of Two Apologies

想多了解妳