Happy New Year

 



So I started my new year by visiting the funeral parlour here.

From a more superstitious point of view, that was not the best way to start a year, but I am humbly reminded that we cannot control every sort of circumstance in our lives, especially regarding the departure of someone dear to us. I can only imagine the pain and grief of the family members going through that ordeal, since the last time a family member of mine passed away was quite some time ago.

IT was the father of my friend whom I have recently met. Just like that, he has lost both his parents in the span of a year. The news came when everyone was busy and happily preparing for the new year. Another stark reminder that life is really unpredictable.

I believe his lost will be felt, and that it would need some getting used to, especially since he left quite suddenly. As a friend, I did what I could. I showed up, with a couple of others to pay our final respects. I think that was the least we could do, to be there for one another, in support and love.

I did not say much during the meeting, for fear of my words sounding hollow. One of my seniors did give him big talks, about eternal salvation and God's plan, while another brother of mine shared about his own experience of loss, which took me very much by surprise.

God truly works in strange ways. Who would've thought that this departure of one of our brothers in Christ would lead to another relationship opening up between two friends. The words my brother spoke, I believe were as much for himself as it were for my friend. I think he himself needed to hear those words, and perhaps have a new outlook on his loss so many years ago.

Times of grief need to be accompanied by times of healing, and I believe I saw some of both on that day. There was a song during the funeral service which moved me greatly, it was "Miss Me but Let Me Go". I almost broke into tears myself. The lyrics, if you listen to them carefully, speaks much about truth.

I am grateful and humbled for this opportunity to show support and 'be there' for a friend in need. I know that he is thinking that he has to grow stronger for his family, but I would wish to let him know, that he can take his time to grow, and that there is no need to rush growth. I should have told him that there and then, but I suppose he had a lot going into his head  (and heart) already. I will tell him that when the opportunity arises.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

梦醒后

A Day of Two Apologies

想多了解妳