Rest

Brings me back to my childhood days

I do not think I recall the last time when I could actually slow down. Lately, my life has been going to the research institute in the morning and doing a part-time job at night. Also, there is the occasional gathering with friends and whatnot, which barely leaves me enough time for myself. Thankfully, work is slowing down a little, for now at least, and I can spend some time, without any guilt to give myself a break, especially my eyes. @@

There is a Chinese saying that goes, "resting is preparing for the longer journey ahead", but I have never been able to fully appreciate it until recently. I think that the saying is not telling you to rest like there is no tomorrow before you have to work again, but during that period of indolence, do or pursue something that you have always liked or wanted to do. In a way, this is utilising your 'free time' for yourself, be it a passion or just a hobby. If that something is somehow beneficial to you, then all the more reason to do it!

My research is starting to move now, at least. I am still very much a beginner in this sense, but with every passing day, I feel that I have a clearer view of the way ahead. I somehow managed to start writing, which only revealed how much that I did not yet know. Thankfully, my supervisors are generous with their time and comments. They are too kind. I heard that supervisors love to have something to check on from their students, at least they know that we are doing something. Although it may be a not-so ideal product, but the essence is that you actually made an effort to do something that you are not necessarily good at. Remember me, practice makes perfect. Keep at it, and one day you will shine.

I have recently discovered the world of Japanese variety shows. It all started with YouTube suggestions as I was listening to some newfound Japanese artists. With my barely usable Japanese, it was a huge struggle. It was very difficult at first, but thank God that there are plenty of dedicated fansub teams out there who were willing to produce subtitles for many episodes. From there, I started to look for the shows from other sites, because the fansubs are somewhat limited. Slowly, but surely, I could understand more and more about what the guests and MCs were talking about, with the Kanji popouts being a great help. Sometimes, surprising even myself, I could understand an entire episode without using subtitles! Of course, that was because they used fairly basic language and words in it, but it is an improvement for me. I do admit that there are still many times when I do not get the joke, when everyone in the scene was laughing but I was like, what are they talking about? However, I find that as a fun part of learning a new language.

Therefore, do not be afraid of trying and learning new things! Sure, it will not all be a bed of roses, then again, even roses have thorns, and I honestly cannot imagine anyone wanting to lie on a bed of roses. If it is too heavy, then put it down for a while, just for a little while. Take a deep breath, close your eyes, ease your tensed mind and spirit. I am sure that there are others who are on the same journey, and I wish that there is someone who is, or will be walking by your side the moment you decide to continue on your journey ahead.

Listening to : TFBOYS 王源《因为遇见你》(yes I am a fan)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

梦醒后

A Day of Two Apologies

想多了解妳